When vacationing with your family, it is helpful to know some travel trips for packing before you begin. It is easy to pack too much or too little, and you do not want to show up at your vacation spot without some vital piece of gear or article of clothing. Fortunately, there are some tried and true methods for assuring that your family fun vacations are not interrupted by trips to the store for forgotten gear, and your road trips are not bogged down with vacation clutter.
- Make a list. In a quiet moment, take some time to think through what each family member will need. Then make a list for each person to use during packing. When the packing is complete, be sure to pack the lists, as well. That way, when you pack up to leave your vacation spot, you will be sure not to leave anything behind.
- Pack a “permanent” toiletries bag. Keeping a bag packed with travel sized shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, and so on can save time when you vacation. When it is time to pack your suitcase, you will not have to decide what toiletries to bring- just grab your toiletries bag and go!
- Use plastic bags. Plastic zipper bags can be a benefit while packing, both in protecting clothes from anything that might leak, and in organization. For children, it can be helpful to pack gallon zipper bags with one outfit per bag: top, bottoms, underwear and socks. That makes it easy for children (or adults who may not be the adults who normally dress them) to grab an outfit in the morning without making a mess of the suitcase.
- Remember the important things. When traveling with small children, never forget to bring a comfort item. Nothing ruins a vacation faster than a little one wailing for a forgotten teddy or blanket.
- Err on the side of packing light. Chances are there is a store where you are going. Do not pack as if you are headed for a deserted island, only to end up lugging heavy baggage that contains items you could have picked up once you arrived.
- Pack your itinerary. Especially if you are traveling by air, pack a copy of your itinerary, complete with your address and contact number, in every person’s suitcase. That way, if your luggage is misdirected, it will be more likely to reach you.
Traveling with your family can be a great experience, and is a great way to bond with your loved ones. Using some simple travel tips for packing can be very helpful in making sure the trip goes off without a hitch, and everyone has a good time. For more help planning family fun vacations, visit BestVacationsEver.com, or find us on Facebook or Twitter. Have a great trip!